Thursday, March 18, 2010

Movies

I’ve had some free time in the past week to watch a few more movies to add to my list (I’m up to 5/100 haha). Here are my thoughts:


A Single Man

I have been wanting to see this movie for a while and missed out when it was playing at Eau Claire and thought that I was going to have to wait for it to come out on video. Luckily, however, I received my weekly email update from The Uptown and learned that it was going to be showing there, which is even better because I love that theatre and it is cheaper :) I convinced a friend to go with me and we saw a matinee last Saturday afternoon. The movie was written, directed, and produced by Tom Ford, a leading fashion designer and photographer, which explains the beautiful style and look of the film. Set in the early 1960s, this movie is a day in the life of a British college professor (portrayed by Colin Firth who was nominated for an Oscar for this role) who has recently lost his partner of 16 years in a car accident and is trying to discover the meaning left in his life after tragedy. It also co-stars Julianne Moore as his best friend with problems of her own, and a very cute college student who I assume may be an actor/male model :) The best way I can think to describe this movie is “beautifully depressing”. The description on the website couldn’t say it better:

A Single Man is a romantic tale of love interrupted, the isolation that is an inherent part of the human condition, and ultimately the importance of the seemingly smaller moments in life.

I highly recommend that you see it!

Camille

Okay… what to say about this movie? LOL. If you are in the mood for something excessively strange, watch this movie. Starring James Franco as a criminal recently released from jail and his bubbly, talkative bride played by Sienna Miller, this movie follows the young couple on a honeymoon road trip to Niagara Falls. However, their plans go awry when they get into a motorcycle accident… I don’t want to give too much away in case you want to see this (haha) but let’s just say that the movie also has David Carradine as a man who owns multicoloured painted horses, formaldehyde, and a bright red wig, and that the couple won’t let anything get in the way of their honeymoon… even death…

The Ugly Truth

This movie is your typical romantic comedy, which stars Katherine Heigl as a slightly neurotic TV show producer and Gerard Butler as the brash star of the show “The Ugly Truth” where he tells people about what guys really think about relationships and women. I have to admit the movie is fairly predictable as the storyline has been done a million times (man is rude and obnoxious, girl despises him, girl goes for other seemingly perfect guy, girl actually ends up falling for rude guy, all ends happily ever after…), however it definitely had some laugh out loud moments – including the restaurant scene with the vibrating underwear, which reminded me of an updated version of one of my favourite scenes in “When Harry Met Sally”, although in this movie she’s not faking… LOL. So if you are in the mood for something light and fluffy, I recommend renting this! :)

On another note - I think I am going to start my self portrait tonight...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home