Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tom Petty Concert

After hearing the disappointing news that the U2 concert was being postponed, I was able to cross going to another concert off my list last night (I believe I am now up to 3/5) - I went to see Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers and the opening act was Joe Cocker. The first time I saw Joe Cocker live was about 10 years ago when he opened for Tina Turner (great show!) and he is still just as good as ever! That man can belt it out with the best of them :) Highlight for me was definitely the Wonder Years theme song haha. Classic.

I get by with a little help from my friends... I get high with a little help from my friends

The bad news is that during the opening act there were the loudest most obnoxious drunk guys sitting behind us... One was yelling into his cell phone, then they had a yelling conversation with each other... it was ridiculous. Just some thoughts to keep in mind:
1. If you aren't really interested in appreciating, listening, and respecting the opening act at a concert - do not go to your seats right away. Really, it is just that simple!
2. Teach your children proper manners so that they don't grow up to be assholes
The good news is that right at the end of the opening act my mom and I realized that we were sitting in the wrong section!! It was our lucky day - we were able to move away from the annoying boys and sit slightly closer to the stage haha.

Anyway, I digress. Another somewhat odd observation during the show was the amount of people smoking weed... yes this tends to be a regular occurrence at concerts in Canada, however I figured since most of the audience was older that this wouldn't be so prevalent... I guess Tom Petty is more of a hippy, trippy dude than I realized! Although he was wearing a purple silk shirt, vest, and had his signature long hair... haha.


The show was fantastic!! He played Free Fallin' and Last Dance with Mary Jane almost right off the bat (two songs I had to hear!) and then some of the music off of their new album... still not sure how I felt about that but the songs may grow on me if I listen to them more. The crowd sang along to every song they knew (which was most of them) and cheered after every song like it was the last one of the night! Overall a great show :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home