Wednesday, August 16, 2006

More facts and interesting things I've learned/experienced:
  • Like how we say "5 Bucks", here they say "5 Quid" - I looked this up on the internet to see where this comes from (gotta love Google right Jenna?! haha) and it seems like the origin is from "quid pro quo" (which basically means to trade something for something else of equal value)
  • I tried a "jacket potatoe" for lunch yesterday - which is basically just a baked potatoe with stuff on it... I had cheese and ham but some people have really weird stuff like beans or tuna on them
  • People in wheelchairs must not live in London - there are stairs everywhere! Not to mention all the cobblestones...
  • Jez is an abbreviation/nickname for Jeremy

Anyway, yesterday at work I got a phonecall from Louisa inviting me out for a farewell dinner for the LA gang. I left immediately after work to get to Dartford where we went out for all-you-can-eat Chinese food, it was really good but quite expensive. It was nice to see everyone one last time before they had to go home today - hopefully I will be able to visit them again in LA soon and go on the new Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland!! Laura are you interested in another vacation?? ;o) Dinner was lots of fun (except for the one guy who worked there and took a liking to me... he ended up putting flowers in my hair... don't ask) and I actually did remember my camera and took some photos but I will have to post the link later as I am at work right now on my lunch break!

So my new roommate seems really nice despite the language barrier. I still don't remember her name, mostly because names that are hard to pronounce that I've never heard before just go in one ear and out the other for me!! I think it's something like Lula or Luva or Luvla? Who knows. Anyway, she is from Brazil - she just finished her degree over there in something like art direction for movies I think and now she is here to study English and take more movie courses. I believe she is here until December as well so at least I won't go through a million different roommates - so hopefully she is a good one!! So far so good...

Well tonight is the night - the Madonna concert! I'm so excited because I am seeing her on her 48th birthday! And it is her last concert here in London. I haven't decided how much I am going to allow myself to buy yet, it really depends what I like and how much it costs!! I'm thinking I might just get the program and a shirt but we'll see what kind of posters and other stuff they have.... and how long I have to stand in line to buy anything! I hope I get there early enough to pick up my ticket, see the "Square of Fame", buy stuff, and find my seat... haha we'll see how that plan works out! It really depends how long I have to wait to get my ticket I think. I remembered to put my binoculars in my purse this morning and I brought my Madonna shirt to change into after work... I hope I have everything I need and there aren't any problems with the tube!! :o) The Rolling Stones are here on Sunday night as well and a guy at work was selling tickets but sadly I definitely do not have enough money to see them perform here - outrageous prices! So many concerts so little money haha. And sadly again, Kylie Minogue is coming here and I would LOVE to go see her but she isn't here until 2 days after I leave!!!! Plus all the tickets for that concert are only £49! But it is already sold out so oh well.

Well I should get back to work now! Love and miss you all and I'll blog again soon!!!

Later days!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you have a wonderful time at the concert...what an experence seeing your favorite singer in London. Mom and Dad are getting ready for their vacation to Paris and are looking forward to seeing you. Wish I was coming with them!! Haven't had a chance to look at the picture you drew for me but I will let you know what I think. Love you tons and miss you lots. Can't wait to read more about your adventures and Madonna!!!

12:47 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so down with another Vacation!! I am so excited that you get to see Madonna!! That is so cool, I tried to call you tonight but well, you are at the show!! LOL, your roomate sounds cute!!! Anyways I will talk to you soon. Love you tons!!!

5:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to know about how Madonna was so much as how you made out (traveling there and back, getting your ticket, etc.). Oh, and probably most important of all - HOW MUCH DID YOU SPEND ON SOUVENIRS?????????????? Be gentle, I didn't win the 649.
Hope Madge (is that like Jez?) was fabulous at 48!
Love,
G&G

6:06 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather!

I hope you have an amazing time at madonna! i will have to try to catch you on the phone one day so you can tell me all about it!! Happy early birthday! hahaha.

I miss you like crazy! Love you lots!

Kirsteen

6:31 p.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

Madonna was amazing!! But I'll write more about that later when I have time ;o) I just wanted to let Ginger know that "Madge" is short for "Your Majesty" and it's been her nickname since she moved to London, and I spent WAY too much on souveniers but you can just reimburse me for one of the shirts if you want! I wanted to ask everyone a favor - can someone with a VCR tape something for me in November? haha let me know and I'll give you more details!! Gotta go to work now!
XX

12:58 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Majesty - LUV it, I can use that! After so much 'window only' shopping I knew you'd go overboard last night! Your Mom asked me about taping something for you - can do, let me know what/when. Glad you had a good time and made it back to your residence safe and sound!
Love,
G & a much relieved other G

7:43 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heather. Just caught up with your blog as I had company then was in Ottawa for a few days. I am really enjoying your adventures and photos. Sounds like you are doing lots of amazing things and getting out a lot. I'm really pleased that you're doing so well on your own - like Natalie said when I told her - "oh, she can do it!" needless to say I guess we're all proud of you. what an interesting place and a fabulous experience.
Take care and stay safe...
Diana

8:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEATHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just wanted to say that I am missing you a lot, I bought a bunch of lilies to put on my table to remind me of you. So I am getting Shaw digital phone, so I will have 1000 mins a month to talk to you, so if you have any acess to a phone number let me know. Also this is a plan to try to save some money so that maybe with the grace of God I will be able to come see you. Here's Hoping.

Love you a Ton
Justin

4:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home