Friday, August 11, 2006


More things I have learned:

  • a period (punctuation) is called a "full stop"
  • traffic lights here turn yellow before turning green
  • apparently after living here for 3 months and drinking the tap water I'll be about 65% Thames haha (I'm probably almost 20% now)

So today after work I decided to go on another walking tour - this one was called "Along the Thames pub walk" - I also learned that pub walks aren't the best idea to do alone because the stops at the pubs are pretty boring if you have no one to talk to! First of all, after work I went to Moorgate tube station like always and as I was waiting for the train an announcement came on that there was a security alert and we all had to leave the station... not sure what that was about but as far as I know everything is fine now... so I walked to the next nearest station and made it in time for the walk! It was raining off and on all night so not the best night for walking around but oh well. We saw many sights along the way including a lot of locations from various movies that were filmed around here - "Matchpoint", "Bridget Jones's Diary", "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels", "101 Dalmations", and "Oliver Twist". My photos aren't very good this time considering the rain and the darkness but oh well not much I could do about that! I also saw the replica of Shakespeare's Globe Theatre which I will definitely have to go back and check out (maybe I'll save that one for if my aunt Wendy comes to visit!). I met a nice couple from Michigan on the tour and chatted with them for a bit at the second pub. It turns out their daughter was here for about 2 months and living in the same residence as me on the same floor! Go figure, small world. Anyway, the woman shared some stories and gave me insight into a few things, including that I should visit Dublin and Edinburgh if I can, the Eurostar is nice but I should bring my own food on board with me, I should definitely go on the Jack the Ripper walking tour but I should wait until less tourists are around... I'll have to keep all that in mind! Here is the link to see my photos: share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8IZuGzZm2asJ8

Not much else is new with me at the moment... not sure if my roommate is actually moving out this weekend or not due to the airplane issues going to the US from here, she just found out her flight was cancelled so I'm not sure what her plan is now. Tomorrow I am going to hopefully check out a hostel for Wendy, and then head over to Oxford Street in Mayfair which I've heard is a fabulous shopping area (although expensive but worth at least going to see!) and I also believe this is near the area where Madonna lives while in London so that's exciting! I've also been emailing back and forth with another Canadian who lives here in Chelsea and she is supposed to call me tomorrow late morning or early afternoon to go shopping so hopefully that works out! Then tomorrow night I am supposed to meet up with Susie and Louisa to go out to a bar :o) And on Sunday I will hopefully be meeting up with Jackie, my friend from U of A, to do some sightseeing before she leaves to go home to Canada! So overall it seems like it is going to be a fairly busy weekend. Then on Wednesday I'm going to see Madonna YAY!

Well it's getting a little late here and I want to get up fairly early to get lots done tomorrow so I'm going to end this post now! Love and miss you all

Later days!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hun,

Sounds like an ultra-busy weekend, and you probably won't have much time to think about missing me! All I ask is that you send me crazy good luck vibes for my history final exam tomorrow. God there's so much to know.. Count yourself lucky you are in your shoes and not mine!

Have an awesome time exploring, and I'll talk to you when you aren't so busy. I just wanted to ask you about the whole terrorist thing, what's it like actually being where it was thwarted?!?

Oh, and do a pub walking tour again, but just make sure next time you find the hottest guy in the bar to keep you company. Who can resist a hot Canadian gal like yourself???

Love you,
Jenna

6:41 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home