Friday, November 17, 2006

Adventures at the Vidal Sassoon School of Hairdressing... 4.50 GBP and 2.5 hours later haha

Okay so not the greatest photo for two reasons: 1. Hard to take photos of yourself, and 2. my hair looks a tad frizzy because it was really windy on my way home!! LOL

So I arrived at the hair school at 10am this morning along with practically a million other people! I was very nervous and I had to pay the 4.50 up front so there was no going back! Then I had to stand in a long queue as this guy went to each of us individually and asked what we wanted done with our hair today then handed us a specific colored card and gave us directions to our respective rooms - I got an orange card and had to go out the building, two doors down, inside then down the spiral staircase and to the room at the back haha. I was expecting to have an Asian student with a translator cut my hair because that's mostly what I read in reviews of the place on the internet (and there were about three in the classroom I was in!) but I lucked out and got a girl named Billie from Essex of all places (which is just outside of London) so small talk in English wasn't an issue, not that it mattered that much after she started cutting because she had to focus on what she was doing!

After our initial consultation we had to wait for Marco her teacher to come over and give her the go ahead - I went for shoulder length with long layers so that ended up having about three inches or so cut off but my hair sure needed it! I looks much healthier and thicker when it is shorter. At one point about midway through the cut my student seemed to be a little annoyed with Marco which made me nervous that she was going to take out her frustration on my locks but luckily that didn't happen!! It took a ridiculously long time for this haircut but it's understandable because they are learning. This experience gave me a new found appreciation for the art of hairdressing for sure, it was very interesting to watch Marco make his rounds and explain all the different techniques.

In the end it turned out so great that Marco actually got the attention of everyone in the entire class to look at my hair and complemented me on my beautiful face and hair haha (and of course congratulated my student on a job well done!). Then I had my mugshots taken from all angles for Billie's portfolio! Overall I completely recommend the experience if you have three hours of your life to kill on a haircut - you sacrifice time to save money!!

Afterwards I headed over to Leicester Square to buy discounted theatre tickets for tonight. Then after lunch I met up with Wendy and Kyle! Since it was a very windy and rainy day today (gotta love London) we decided to spend it inside. I suggested Harrod's since I hadn't been there yet and knew it would be decked out for the holiday season, plus I've heard that you have to go there. Very beautiful from the outside because of the Christmas lights!! Then inside it is like 10 times more high class than Holt Renfrew at home - full of luxury clothes by every designer you could think of, fancy foods, pet store and pet clothes, Christmas shop, live Opera while you are riding the escalator (no joke!!)... very cool. Definitely a place I wish I could afford to shop in!! It was very obvious who was actually shopping and who were tourists like us LOL. It is said that you can buy anything in Harrod's - if you ask for an elephant they will reply "Indian or Asian?". We stopped in the Chocolate Bar and had the second most expensive hot chocolate I have ever drank (first was that nasty expensive hot chocolate Kayt, Amy, and I had in Paris in Grade 11 haha) but it was by far the best hot chocolate I have ever tasted!!

From Harrod's, I took Wendy and Kyle to see Covent Garden, not as nice in the rain, but they have a huge Christmas tree up right now and it was gorgeous!! I LOVE this time of year :o) haha at work the other day Raj asked why I was so smiley and I just told him "because it's Christmas!!". We ate a very yummy and cheap dinner at Wagamama before going to Tottenham Court Road to see "We Will Rock You" (a futuristic musical featuring the music of Queen). The show was amazing and the singing was fantastic!! The woman who played the Killer Queen reminded me of a dragified version of Celine Dion LOL. Very good show though, no wonder it has been playing here for the past five years!! However, there was a couple from Scotland behind me that were drinking heavily during the show and the woman insisted on singing very loudly (loud enough to hear her over the very loud rock music) to every single song no matter how much I glared at her over my shoulder!!! SO ANNOYING. After the intermission I found an empty seat luckily only two rows in front of Wendy and Kyle and moved there, so I enjoyed the second half much more!

I will probably post a link for all of my photos after this weekend is over! Tomorrow we are doing more sightseeing around the city so hopefully the weather will improve... Have a great weekend everyone!!

Later days :o)

2 Comments:

Blogger Forbsie said...

Hair looks good. Sounds like you had a good day other than the rain, but you must be getting used to that by now. :) Enjoy the weekend! Cheers!

3:00 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hair looks great Heather! I'm always afraid to go to hairdressing schools - afraid i'll look even worse when i come out than i do now! :-)
Diana

6:19 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home