Wednesday, November 01, 2006

"Please to remember
The fifth of November
Gunpowder treason and plot.
We know no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot."
Hey everyone! How's it going? So this was possibly the most boring Halloween of all time since it isn't a very big holiday here.... I didn't even bother renting a scary movie, just stayed at work a little late listening in on Raj's interviews with the Canadian students, then watched some "Grey's Anatomy" and munched on "Golden Caramel Corn Nuggets" Jenna sent to me in her package haha. Oh well.
So some of you might be wondering what the quote at the top is about - well this Sunday is Guy Fawkes Day!! On the 5th of November about 401 years ago, a man named Guy Fawkes tried to blow up London Parliament with 36 barrels of gunpowder. He was unsuccessful of course, caught, charged with treason, and tortured into confession. He was then hanged, taken down from the gallows while still alive, placed on the quartering block, castrated, gralloched (i.e. disembowelled), and, finally, quartered like a slaughtered ox (ew). There are now fireworks and bonfires throughout the city to celebrate the failure of the conspiracy of the "Gunpowder Plot". So on Friday after work (even though it's only November 3rd), Michelle, Karyna, and I are going on a Pub Walk - we start by taking a guided tour through Clapham Old Town and, stopping at a few really old pubs along the way, make our way to Clapham Common for fireworks and a bonfire!! Should be really fun!!
Not much else is new with me... still haven't had time to go through all my Scotland photos but hopefully this weekend I will get caught up!! I also tried to take photos of my new diamonds from the parents however with the glowing whiteness of my freakishly pale skin the necklace just shows up as a blurry shiny thing on my neck in the photos LOL! So if I get a chance I will take it off and take the photo against a darker background haha.
Ugh it is really really cold here today! They claim it was about +10 degrees today but I don't believe the weather people here at all - must be the humidity or something because I would swear it was at least -10 degrees!! Brrr.... Well I'm off to watch more "Grey's Anatomy" (yep I'm addicted and have nothing else really better to do) before going to bed. Have a good day everyone! Love and miss you :o)
Later days!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heather heather heather....first Sex and the City, then probably something else, now Greys Anatomy! You're funny...I have only seen it once but it didn't "wow" me in any way. I am more of a Project Runway and America's Next Top Model Junkie! Too bad about the lack of Halloween activities...I didn't do ANYTHING for it either! I just simply didn't care at all. I am lame. Peace out!

12:50 a.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

Hahah sorry Mom, "the parents" is just easier to type!! :o)

A couple things I forgot to write about - when I went shopping with Michelle I decided to try on skinny jeans since they are so trendy right now and I wanted to see what all the fuss is about... well they looked awful! I still don't understand that trend at all...

I also called a couple days ago and made a hair appointment at the Vidal Sassoon Hair School (eek!!) for November 17th. Super nervous but it's going to be really cheap so hopefully they don't ruin my hair!! LOL.

And apparently Jack Black was in London the other day at the Film Festival!! Sheesh I guess I should've gone because it ends today... oh well!

And sadly for those of you who haven't heard yet, Bob Barker is retiring this year!! What will the world be like without "The Price is Right"?!

Love and miss you all!!

3:11 a.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

I got a haircut from the Aveda School here in Calgary and it was great! I've heard the same about the one in Edmonton, so I'm sure you'll be in good hands with Vidal Sassoon in London. If Edmonton can get it right...

10:14 p.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

Heather, how experienced were the students at the Aveda Hair School you went to? I'm mostly nervous because I think at the Vidal Sassoon Hair School they need a minimum of 3 months eek!! I could've gone to the Advanced Academy but then you don't have much input into what they do to your hair - much scarier!!

3:18 a.m.  
Blogger Heather said...

I'm not sure...the girl who cut my hair had been doing it a while though (I'm not sure how long with Aveda). You could get someone who was a student, an advanced grad or a teacher. I went for advanced grad.

12:34 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home